Designer Profile: Andrea Morici

Andrea is the senior designer at Beadaholique.com.  

She has designed most of the hundreds of free instructional projects you can find on our website.  We sat down with her to find out how she keeps coming up with design after unique design.

Andrea Morici senior designer
for Beadaholique.com
Beadaholique:  How did you get interested in beading/jewelry making?

Andrea:  I have always been artistically inclined, and I really enjoy working with my hands. Beading is such a comprehensive art form because it contains elements of visual layout, color composition, textural juxtaposition, even a bit of math. Plus the finished product is utilitarian; you actually get to wear your art!


B:  What is your educational background in the arts?   What was your favorite art subject?

A:  I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from College for Creative Studies in Detroit, Michigan. My concentration was in painting, and I always thought it was such a shame that I had to whittle my interests down to such a fine point. Even though my focus was on painting, I absolutely adored my sculpture, printmaking, metal and wood shop, photography, and (of course) jewelry making classes.


B:  You have a distinct personal fashion sense, and a distinct design aesthetic.  How would you describe them?  

A:  Thank you... I think!  Once again it goes back to that artistic, right-brained curse. I am constantly thinking, "What can I do to make this piece unique?"  Perhaps there is a bead or a finding that has a traditional use, well, I try to visualize it in a non-traditional setting. It is the unexpected little details that make a piece interesting.


B:  What are your current favorite materials to use for making jewelry?  

A:  Oh, there are so many! Working at Beadaholique is like being a kid in a candy store. I have nearly limitless resources, which makes designing such a fun adventure. Lately, though, I have been having a great time playing with all of the amazing Steampunk items that we carry, and I'm loving the Patera collection.


B:  How do you arrive at your color palettes in your jewelry work?

A:  I am a self-proclaimed color addict, and I draw my inspiration from many different sources. Sometimes I am inspired by colors of the natural world, sometimes I like crazy, unnaturally vibrant color stories. I love odd color combinations that somehow work well together, or variations on a traditional color scheme. One of my favorite websites is colourlovers.com where you can create your own customized color palettes and patterns. It is a treasure trove of inspiration for anyone in the design world.


B:  Is there a technique that you haven’t tried yet but plan to soon?

A:  I'm getting really excited about all of the resin molds we are getting in. I can't wait to try them out. Also, I love the idea of fine silver wire fusing and I can't wait to experiment with it as well!


B:  Do you work best in chaos or an orderly workspace?

A:  I have to say, I believe my workspace is a combination of both. It is organized chaos. I try to stay on top of everything, but as any beader knows, this is easier said than done. You may start one project, only to be distracted by something else. Beads and findings inevitably pile up, and as long as I can remember where and why I made said pile, I consider myself ahead of the game.


B:  What is your favorite piece of jewelry that you own?

A:  Over the years I have collected mostly vintage pieces from resale stores. I love those pieces, although my favorite jewelry was given to me by loved ones. As a birthday gift one year, I received two stunning turquoise and silver necklaces. One of them, from my parents, was a large and interesting chunk of turquoise set in sterling silver, and hanging from a sterling snake chain. The other was a bizarre and enormous antique art deco era silver and turquoise piece, given to me by a friend.


B:  Is there someplace people can purchase jewelry or artwork that you have made?

A:  I am in the process of setting up my Etsy store. I'm really excited about it!  More details to come.


B:  What inspires your creativity?

Everything from music to fashion, the past, the future, magazines and websites... I am inspired to create by so many things!


B:  Who inspires you in your creativity?

A:  Once again, I have to be broad here, because I am surrounded by creative beings who make me want to create. These include my family, my friends, my boyfriend, and of course my coworkers!


B:  A little bird told me that you are also a musician, and that you’ve appeared on a number of records.  Care to elaborate?

A:  I find so often that people who are into the visual arts tend to be involved with music, as well. I'm no exception. It is the right-brained thing, I think. I began taking piano lessons at age seven, and by the time I was in my early twenties I was playing keyboard and writing songs for my first band. A few years ago I was asked to sing for a well-established band that I really admired. After many tours and several albums together, I am still so humbled and honored to be a part of this musical project.
 
coompax-digital magazine